Monday, November 4, 2013

A month of thanksgiving



I love Thanksgiving! – I love the traditions (the family going around the table saying what we're each thankful for), the weather, the gorgeous spectacle of nature, the food..mmmmm, the big (sometimes dysfunctional) family get-to-gethers.

And now that we are a full family with a little one of our own, I’m so excited to start some traditions of our own. (Like this idea I saw on pinterest, what a fun idea!) 

Besides starting traditions for the Thanksgiving Day, I've decided that that I’m going to use the whole month of November to really want to celebrate all the many things and people that I'm thankful for! Why do it just one day? 

My plan:

1)     Being publicly thankful everyday! I’m doing this by posting on Facebook every day one thing I’m thankful for. I felt kind of cheesy and dorky doing this at first, feeling a little hesitant because of what people might think – but then I decided I don’t care if people think I’m being a dweeb or annoying or bragging. When I’m thankful – no matter how small or stupid the thing – it make me happy. And who can hate on happy?   

2)     Carve out some time to write some notes and cards to tell the people around me how much I’m thankful for them. Sounds bad to say “this is a big one for me” but I hate the time that goes into writing cards/buying stamps/addressing letters when emails are so much easier. But I think that a handwritten note carries so much more meaning and are appreciated more. There are some people in my life going through hard times especially now, so I’m gonna skip fun lunch outings with coworkers, and work on a note every day during lunch.

3)     Do some nice things for others I’m thankful for – make cookies, some crafts, send photos, fix things, etc. Its hard to find time - especially when my baby isn't sleeping through the night at all (I'm so tired I could cry).... BUT I’m thinking I can squeeze in an hour a week to do this. Brain storming some ideas!

4)     Blog about my gratitude and fixate on the good during a season that gets a little chaotic. I find it easy to get dragged down on the things that are wrong/bad/ugly/missing in life sometimes. To focus on the bad instead of the good. Sometimes I have trouble ignoring that little voice, that miserable little critic in my head. But I’ve found what works – being thankful and appreciative for the many blessings I do have, it buoys my spirits on those bad days.
 
So to start…I’m very thankful that we were able to buy that cute little gingerbread house that you see in the photo. That's our new house :) It was a six-month process (nothing short about a short sale!) and so many times we almost didn’t close on it. But we made it through and even though its a fixer-upper inside and I have a list 10 pages long of things that need to be done to fix it or a list of things I don't like about it that we are years away from changing....but I'm going to just ignore that list and say, I’m so thankful for it.

 I'm thankful my hubby worked so many overtime hours so we could afford it. I'm thankful it has a fireplace (YAY!) a master bedroom that can fit TWO night stands, a garage to hold lots of our crap. I'm thankful its surrounded by acreage and has a great little barn. I'm thankful its quiet and private, its peaceful and safe. I'm thankful for the potential it has down the road. I'm thankful to have a great home to raise my family in. I'm thankful its ours finally.

Let the thanksgivinglovefest begin!

:)

Any great Thanksgiving traditions or ideas? Are you doing anything special in November to show thanks?

~ K.

No comments:

Post a Comment